SKILLS BASED NON-EXECUTIVE BOARD DIRECTORS
HotHouse Theatre is currently seeking to appoint up to two new Board Directors.
HotHouse Theatre is one of Australia’s leading regional theatre companies and has been the home of professional Australian Theatre on the border for 25 years.
Proving itself to be a mainstay of the cultural life of this region, the company is enriched by a loyal and dedicated community of patrons, artists and supporters.
With a rich and celebrated history of commissioning, developing, producing and presenting high-quality, contemporary Australian theatre, HotHouse Theatre is nationally recognized as regional creative powerhouse and first-class incubator of new Australian work, a centre for artistic retreat and development, and a trusted provider of artistic and professional development programs for the communities of Albury-Wodonga, and the surrounding regions of Southern NSW and North East Victoria.
HotHouse Theatre is a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee, with a Board of up to 9 directors. The Board is accountable for the strategic governance of the organisation.
The HotHouse team is a high-performing team of 9 members (7 FTE) focused on artistic development, creative learning, marketing, production management and finance. They are supported by a team of casual teaching and venue staff.
- Grow our Cultural Capital
- Build Creative Capacity
- Create Community Outcomes
- Incubate, make and present Australian Theatre, divergent in form and voice
- Identify, develop and champion regional artists.
- Provide engaging and compelling experiences to a regional audience
- Be a visible and active cultural leader in our region and the nation
- Be a robust, resilient and sustainable organisation.
The Board of Directors has accountability for the effective governance and
Legal compliance of HotHouse Theatre and for supporting and promoting its strategic development and growth. The Board of Directors works closely with the Artistic Director/CEO and the Business Manager.
Some of the functions of HotHouse Theatre may be delegated to Board committees and the Chief Executive Officer, however the Board has final responsibility for the effective governance and legal compliance of the organisation.
The key roles of Board Directors include:
- Setting the strategic direction, vision, mission, values, goals and key performance indicators
- Approval of three year strategic and annual business plan;
- Setting the key annual and longer-term financial parameters for the
- organisation in terms of financial operating and net assets targets
- Approval of the policy framework and periodic review of the key policies governing the operation of HotHouse Theatre;
- Periodically reviewing and updating the constitution from time to time
- Establishing and determining the powers of Board sub-committees;
- Approving the budget and all major items of capital expenditure;
- Ensuring legal compliance under the corporations and other relevant Acts
- Monitoring the implementation of strategic plans.
- Skills in one or more of the following areas would be of benefit :
- Accounting and or Financial Management
- Philanthropic Development
- Governance and Risk Management
- Ability to apply strategic thought to key issues;
- Prepared to question, challenge and critique;
- A willingness to understand and commit to the highest standards of governance;
- A sensitivity and interest in the role the performing arts and the artistic process can play in a regional community.
Strong ties to the local community would be highly regarded.
OTHER INFORMATION SELECTION
- Interviews would be held with the Nominations Subcommittee – Chair, two other Board Members and the CEO
- Appointments will be made based on skills, experience and capacity.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The Non-Executive Director’s position is held on a voluntary basis and there is no remuneration.
The board of HotHouse Theatre meets on a minimum 8 occasions within the calendar year, the schedule of which is negotiated annually with the whole Board.
The appointment is for a three-year period.
Applications should be in writing, with a letter addressing the key selection criteria
Applications should be made attention to Sarah Neal, Chair, Nominations Subcommittee and emailed to: [email protected]
For any enquiries please contact Business Manager Madeleine Schnelle, HotHouse Theatre on (02) 60217433 or email [email protected]